Author Topic: Getting kambo recognised as a religious practice  (Read 16110 times)

Offline Xochipilli

• ᵁˢᵉ ᴷᵃᵐᵇᵒ ᵃˢ ᵃ ˢᵃᶜʳᵃᵐᵉⁿᵗ
    ᵒⁿ ᴿᵉᵍᵘˡᵃʳ ᴮᵃˢⁱˢ
  • Called by the medicine(s)
    • View Profile
Getting kambo recognised as a religious practice
« on: July 27, 2013, 09:22:30 AM »
While kambo is not psychoactive, I suspect that it could be in danger of being banned since medicines like these have the potential to undermine the interfere with the interests of the pharmaceutical companies (i.e. they are in the business of treating symptoms, so if people can cure the illnesses, then they would have no symptoms that need suppressing). We should take a proactive approach to ensuring that kambo will always be available to those who need it. It should not be difficult to have the use of a spiritually powerful substance like kambo recognised as a religious practice. I'm sure it will be readily reconised as that in countries like Brasil and Peru, but I'm thinking about Europe and north America. In my country (Ireland), they are still battling to have Santo Daime officially allowed, after the government violated the Irish constitution by arresting church members. As I said though, kambo is not a psychoactive substance, so it should be easier to have it officially legalised.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 02:12:31 PM by Xochipilli »

Offline Kambogahuasca Panacea

• A̷d̷m̷i̷n̷i̷s̷t̷r̷a̷t̷o̷r̷
  • ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
    • View Profile
Re: Getting kambo recognised as a religious practice
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 11:53:45 AM »
I'm on board with this as well!  Thank you for the initiative. 

Offline Xochipilli

• ᵁˢᵉ ᴷᵃᵐᵇᵒ ᵃˢ ᵃ ˢᵃᶜʳᵃᵐᵉⁿᵗ
    ᵒⁿ ᴿᵉᵍᵘˡᵃʳ ᴮᵃˢⁱˢ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 02:12:04 PM »
I think the place to start would be to talk to lawyers and other people who work in the legal system about this. I'm a chemist myself, so this isn't an area I'm knowledgeable in unfortunately. I know of a lawyer who is a strong advocate of ayahuasca, I will see if I can get in contact with him.

Offline caiano

• ɢʟօɮǟʟ
    ʍօɖɛʀǟȶօʀ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 03:01:50 PM »
Good idea Xochi.
And thanks for moving it on.

Offline rez_runner

• ꀘ꒐ꇙꇙꏂ꒯ ꃳꌦ ꀘꋬꂵꃳꄲ
    (꒐ꋊ꒐꓄꒐ꋬ꓄ꏂ꒯)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 02:57:55 AM »
It is comforting knowing things like kambo and ayahuasca will more than likely still be present in south america even if they are banned in the rest of the world (including the plants and natural ethnobotanicals we should legally be able to buy online..) but at the same time its not exactly cheap to get down there so lets hope things don't get to that point

Offline Galega

• ɢʟօɮǟʟ
    ʍօɖɛʀǟȶօʀ
  • Kambo Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 05:52:16 PM »
Personally I'm not in favour of having Kambo recognised as a religious practice because despite what we may find in it as individuals (and I am one of its greatest devotees) it is not and never has been a religious practice anywhere in the world. Kambo is regarded as a medicine in the Amazon where there are no religious connotations around it at all. Totally different from the Daime which clearly is a religious practice.

I would describe Kambo as a sacred medicine practice but not religious. I want to see it accepted as a natural medicine practice that has its roots deep in the Amazon because that is what it is.

There are already moves in hand to secure the future of Kambo. Several practitioners have come together to look at exactly this issue and its a slow, step by step process. It is already legal, albeit legal by omission. My mission is to ensure that its current status goes unchallenged. The DEA have already looked at it and decided to leave it be. You are right that the challenge if it comes, is likely to be from Big Pharma, however as yet, even they have no grounds to try and ban it. Kambo in its original form will not be seen as a threat to any mainstream medication that is derived from it because that medication will be mainlined into our health systems, seamlessly replacing the current medications that the majority consume and maintaining pharma profits - and that's all they're interested in. Kambo in its natural form will remain an option for those people who are willing to step away from mainstream health services and partake of a more proactive holistic healing experience. Whilst I already see this second group growing and growing, I think there is a long way to go before it impacts on the bottom line of Big Pharma.

The biggest threat to the legality of Kambo is bad practice. The number of untrained people playing at being practitioners is also growing. One fatality in Europe or the US could bring everything down. Being a religious practice wouldn't stop that.

Personally, I think that jumping in at this point and campaigning for Kambo to be recognised as a religious practice would put it prematurely into the spotlight, possibly encouraging opposition and vilification and even eventually becoming the catalyst for banning it.

Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey ......

Offline Kambogahuasca Panacea

• A̷d̷m̷i̷n̷i̷s̷t̷r̷a̷t̷o̷r̷
  • ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 09:01:18 AM »
For me it is my primary religious sacrament and order of teacher spirit.  This remains my commitment in viewing Kambo as a worthy conduit the the most high.

The tribes have their ways which I respect and continue to adore and learn from.  My practice with Kambo is spiritual in nature and it will be forever I broadcast to my soul.