Author Topic: Giant Fire-Bellied Toad  (Read 4512 times)

Offline Kambogahuasca Panacea

• A̷d̷m̷i̷n̷i̷s̷t̷r̷a̷t̷o̷r̷
  • ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
    • View Profile
Giant Fire-Bellied Toad
« on: May 09, 2013, 03:02:33 PM »
Serious potential in this one...

http://portal.acs.org/portal/acs/corg/content?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=PP_ARTICLEMAIN&node_id=223&content_id=CNBP_027122&use_sec=true&sec_url_var=region1&__uuid=c6cffa30-7efe-4e0a-8a1d-cb3e13b8c023

They discovered 79 different antimicrobial peptides, the components of proteins, including 59 that were totally new to science. The diversity of the peptides “is, to our knowledge, the most extreme yet described for any animal brains,” they noted. Some of the peptides showed strong antimicrobial activity, crippling or killing strains of staph bacteria, E. coli, and the fungus that causes yeast infections in humans. These promising findings suggest that the toad brains might be a valuable source for developing new antibacterial and antiviral drugs.

Offline Kambogahuasca Panacea

• A̷d̷m̷i̷n̷i̷s̷t̷r̷a̷t̷o̷r̷
  • ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Fire-Bellied Toad
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 03:11:49 PM »
http://www.frogforum.net/content/fire-bellied-toad-care-breeding-bombina-orientalis-relatives-123/

The toxicity of these toads dictates that you should never handle a fire-bellied toad without washing your hands afterward. Unlike poison dart frogs who get their poisons from their food in the wild but are relatively harmless in captivity, fire-bellied toads manufacture their own poisons. Their skin secretions can cause severe discomfort if you were to touch your eyes accidentally after handling a fire-bellied toad.

Offline adamantasaurus

• ꀘ꒐ꇙꇙꏂ꒯ ꃳꌦ ꀘꋬꂵꃳꄲ
    (꒐ꋊ꒐꓄꒐ꋬ꓄ꏂ꒯)
  • Called by the medicine(s)
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Fire-Bellied Toad
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 01:44:25 AM »
I used to have like 4 fire belly toads I would never handle them and if I did I put gloves on or washed my hands really good...