Author Topic: Mambe  (Read 46123 times)

Offline caiano

• ɢʟօɮǟʟ
    ʍօɖɛʀǟȶօʀ
  • Called by the medicine(s)
    • View Profile
Mambe
« on: May 04, 2013, 06:27:33 AM »
Mambe is an indigenious way ( Witoto, Colombia) to consume - chew - raw coca leaves, reduced in flour (= Mate de Coca).
It is considered a medicine for the speech, to channel and speak words of wisdom, light and power.

The Mambe activation(-> freebasing)  I've found optimal, it is obtained adding a 25% of carbonates, composed of 2:1:1 mix of [respectively] Calcium Carbonate:Sodium Bicarbonate:Potassium Bicarbonate.
The natives use withe ashes, or grinded and toasted shells, but then more than 25% is required for a good activation, because the farmaceutical carbonates  I suggested are more pure.
The two Bicarbonates are more reactive than the Calcium C.,  but are more altering the taste.
Calcium C. is a more weak base but does not add any flavour. CC also is almost not soluble in water and on the long run could create deposits in the body, whereas the  Bicarbonates are much  water friendly. That is why I mix them in that ratio.

Another traditional way - probably the best - to activate the Mate is using Ambil, which is an alkaline  "marmalade" made mostly with  tobacco. But Ambil is hard to find, it is produced in limited amount around Colombia ( or in Brazil it is called Jita )- the alternative is one has to make his own (there are recipes on Shaman Australis forum) given he is able to purchase a bunch of raw organic tobacco.

One vendor suggests to drink the Mate in the morning with grapefruit juice, but i find the Mambe method more comfortable to carry everywhere, even to share with others at wish, and suitable to adding other herbs.
For example San Pedro\Peyote flour  can be added to the Mambe mix at 10 or 20 % and used along the day, at least after the meals. One have to keep it in the mouth until it dissolves. Coca flour gives you a light 'friendly' anesthesia in the gum, whereas the cactus material when moisted swells and helps the coca to dissolve much slowly than it could happen without the cactus.

I've tried also to make a batch with powdered Voacanga Africana ( an  Iboga cousin) and it is good.

Mambe is a good medicine, but it is antinausea, so don't use it before kambò because it could undermine the purging process.

Someone suggested also to use Stevia as alkaline agent, but I've found these data which cut off that option:

Q: What is a pH level and what is the pH level of your Stevia products? Are your Stevia products acids or bases?
A: The pH level of a solution/element indicates its acidity. Solutions/elements with a pH of 0 to 6 are acids with a lower number indicating a higher acidity. Solutions/elements with a pH of 8 to 14 are bases (a.k.a. alkaline) with a higher number indicating a stronger alkaline (base) level. Solutions/elements with a pH of 7 are neutral, i.e. neither acid nor base (water has a pH of 7).
Stevioside (white powder) has a pH of +/- 6. That makes it an acid, but a very weak acid.
SteviaClear™ has a pH of about +/- 8. That makes it a rather weak base (alkaline). The combination of the +/- 6 pH of
Stevioside and 7 pH of water (the ingredients of SteviaClear™) make this alkaline.
Stevia Concentrate is also a weak alkaline (base) with a pH of about +/- 8.
Stevia Leaf (HoneyLeaf® powder) has a pH of about 6, which makes it a weak acid.
Based on these pH numbers our Stevia products are essentially neutral in their acidity. They all fall just shy of a pH of 7 on either the acid or base side.

If you read spanish cocaindigena.org is a good place to read the virtues of coca supplementation.
Coca in its raw form is useful for everyone's health and well being, but it 's mostly recommended for recovering from any debilitating illness.

I'm here quoting a personal message i received some days ago:
"...  coca leaves are herbally nutritious but are also central nervous system stimulants... so there is always the affect of them pulsing through the cells and the difference when they are not present.
What separates them from hard stimulants is the nutritional backup support from all the vitamins minerals, phyto nutrients, essential oils all woven into a bio-available plant matrix that supports the activation of these alkaloids without serious or detrimental down time or damage. "

here a couple of videos in spanish about Mambe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axStCIWwDkc (here 1:1 is the ratio they use of  flour and ashes, but then they snort it ?!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZDuDvyBIyI

Here  you can find among the comments some useful and practical infos on Mate, orienting also on how to make your own Mambe.

Vamos a  mambeàr, hermanitos  !
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:04:31 AM by caiano »

Offline caiano

• ɢʟօɮǟʟ
    ʍօɖɛʀǟȶօʀ
    • View Profile
Re: Mambe
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 07:07:52 AM »
After kambò,  mambe was more strong : it lifts from the post-letargy without bath !
It seems kambò erased suddenly the m. tolerance I developed on time.

Next time I will take half of my standard dosage of mambe,
hower i find it  another good companion for the frog juice.

[Cannabis too !  ... nobody already tried that ?]

Offline Kambogahuasca Panacea

• A̷d̷m̷i̷n̷i̷s̷t̷r̷a̷t̷o̷r̷
  • ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 06:12:36 PM »
Thanks so much brother,
This is my preferred activation source although I have only activated Rustica snuffs (Hop-A) but I'm sure it would apply to Mambe...
http://punkash.com/

Or...
http://comprasperu.com/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=297

Of course you can make your own too.  Punk ash though is hard to beat and similar to the Tsune' tree in strength of activation used by the Yawanawa to make their famous snuff.  I've tried to get the ash from the Tsune' tree but so far to no avail as it would likely snuff their snuff.  So I understand.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 06:14:19 PM by Kambogahuascangapé »

Offline ―λlτεrηιτγ-

• ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
  • Herbalism & Kambo
    • View Profile
    • https://Kambo.me
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 01:01:35 PM »
What kind of tree shelf polypore is that? I've seen those pictured. I collect tree shelf polypores often when hiking and make teas out of them because all tree shelf polypores have medicinal properties and none are known to be toxic. It is burned to ash and mixed with powdered N. rustica?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 01:04:12 PM by PsilocybeChild »

• ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 01:07:05 PM »
From the website and the medicine they have is called 'Iq'mik'

Native Alaskans have been using punk ash for over a hundred years to intensify  the
effects of chew / dip tobacco. It's called Iq'mik or Blackbull when mixed!!!

Punk ash is mixed with long cut tobacco and chew dip like copenhagen, the mixture is
dependent upon the users tolerance. It can have quite a strong effect the first time it is
used, so moderation is required until a tolerance is built up.

Its effects have been compared to the sensation a smoker gets on their first cigarette
after they have quit smoking for a long time or that first dip of chew you ever took.

Punk ash and tobacco are commonly mixed either in the chew can or in a ziploc bag
with a little added water and allowed to absorb for a period of time. ie, 2-3 days...

Apparently, the Punk ash effects the Alkalinity of the nicotine allowing it to be readily
and rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream increasing the “nic hit” one receives. The
effect is noticeably quicker and stronger than standard chew.

I use Nicotiana Rustica and a few other varieties of Nicotiana but none of Tobaccum which is what I think even the Acre tribes use. 

I want to start using Reishi Mushroom instead as this has to be the best I believe.  I don't know exactly what kind of polypore they are using looks awfully close to the 'artist conk' but I really don't know.  Could e-mail the guy.  But I definitely want to start using Reishi for multiple reasons. 

Offline ―λlτεrηιτγ-

• ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
  • Herbalism & Kambo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 02:01:07 PM »
It is Phellinus igniarius.

I googled into it. I also thought it looked a bit like artist'c conk at firs too. but upon Google imaging both I see the differences. I'm interested why you think Reishi could be better. Can you elaborate?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 02:03:33 PM by PsilocybeChild »

• ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 02:16:02 PM »
I thought it might be even more medicinal, but I could be wrong.  I'd like to try punk ash and then compare contrast the two.  For now I just use vegetable ash lipta but I look forward to these other methods of activation. 

Offline caiano

• ɢʟօɮǟʟ
    ʍօɖɛʀǟȶօʀ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 02:29:23 PM »
how much you would willing to spend for 1 kg of Reishi to burn ?

Offline caiano

• ɢʟօɮǟʟ
    ʍօɖɛʀǟȶօʀ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 02:34:21 PM »
all tree shelf polypores have medicinal properties and none are known to be toxic.

PChild, are you sure ? I want to be sure before to start collecting them.

• ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 09:30:23 PM »
Its my guess and from reading that all alkalizing foods are good for ash.  But especially I look for Reishi and Chaga mushrooms.  I doubt it would be terribly expensive and I will be sure to add in Cacao hulls and other goodies.  Still first I would like to see what the professional quality is for punk ash, to go from that on the quality. 

Offline ―λlτεrηιτγ-

• ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
  • Herbalism & Kambo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 12:24:02 AM »
PChild, are you sure ? I want to be sure before to start collecting them.
Yes that is the conclusion I came to when researching & as far as I know. Googling, field guides, ect. Feel free to look into it for yourself tho. I feel there is a lot of untapped medicinal potential there. I collect all different kinds and make a condensed tea which I then pour a little bit into my morning smoothies.

Lichens are interesting too. Many contain medicinal components like cannabinoids. Out of 25,000 species of lichens only 2 are known to be toxic. And with some things considered toxic, can also be medicines. The difference being in the dosage.

I guess any tree shelf polypore could be used as a snuff admixture then. I was wondering if that specific species chosen for Mambe had a certain psychoactive component. But it seems it is just chosen for the PH of the ash. So I was thinking it's kind of a shame to burn something that most likely has medicinal qualities just to get an ash to use for snuff. I'm wondering if there is something specifically special about that polypore that synergizes with coca or tobacco, ect. Otherwise any non-toxic wood could be used? But I'd also think all medicinal molecules would be destroyed by heat and be gone by the time the wood is burned to ash?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 12:34:24 AM by PsilocybeChild »

Offline ―λlτεrηιτγ-

• ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
  • Herbalism & Kambo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 12:39:54 AM »
This specific basidiocarp was selected and preferred above all other sources of ash. The reason for this is its high pH.

Once tobacco arrived in Alaska, the indigenous peoples formulated a blend of tobacco and Phellinus ash, also called punk ash. In the native language of Yupik, this mixture is called iqmik. Iqmik was (and still is) made by mixing shredded tobacco leaves and punk ash. It can also be made by rolling pieces of leaf around a portion of ash, like little doulmas. A man might give the quid to his wife to chew until the substances were mixed. Then she would return it to her husband, who held the quid in his cheek and let the juice trickle down his throat.

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/nov2005.html

I thought ash was ash, pH wise.

Offline caiano

• ɢʟօɮǟʟ
    ʍօɖɛʀǟȶօʀ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 05:05:58 AM »
A quick research online and i have found in Italy a source of Reishi at 60 euro\kg !!!
I've asked if they make discounts for expired stocks, but I doubt it will be cheap.
I think it's worth collecting tree shelf polypores by myself.

Offline ―λlτεrηιτγ-

• ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
  • Herbalism & Kambo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 02:13:42 PM »
You guys will be interested in this chart.

http://www.earthspiritmedicine.org/Images/medicinal_chart%20copy.jpg

http://www.znaturalfoods.com/ has reishi for $35 a pound and cordyceps for $26.09 a  pound.

• ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 02:41:52 PM »
I have infinite access to Shiitake, within reason I should have enough to supply a villiage.  I also want to add greens in that are high in PH which I have access to.  At least I will experiment, it (shiitake) rates high in alkalinity too, so I can get this experimenting started soon...then maybe the 3 of us can share in the trials.  Worthy of a PM but just putting it out there to see what others might think.  I got the basics on it...

-Dry the Shiitake's all the way
-Put in Stainless Steel Pot
-Put a bit of organic grain alcohol in
-Light with a bamboo stick flame
-Bring to ash as much as possible
-Sift out non burnt components
-Sift again through mesh to have only ash
-Grind ash to insure no specks of any sort
-Fill ash with water preferably water with 10ph (health food store or otherwise)
-Dehydrate back down

Questions:
When making mambe I wonder if it is necessary to rehydrate them together and then re evaporate together?  Not that I'm making mambe I wanted to know for making 'Hop-A' but the process is quite similar.