Author Topic: O uso do rapé --- Use of Snuff (Article in Portuguese) --- Huni Kuin  (Read 29452 times)

Offline Kambogahuasca Panacea

• A̷d̷m̷i̷n̷i̷s̷t̷r̷a̷t̷o̷r̷
  • ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
    • View Profile
http://saritando.wordpress.com/2010/04/24/o-uso-do-rape/

Translation:

The use of snuff

24/04/2010 by saritamoura

The snuff for huni kuin (kaxinawás) is a medicine that connects to the power of energy Youshibu (God of Creation). So where should be used with respect, because it is sacred. So no one should never mix alcohol with snuff, and even use it anywhere.

What is done - Snuff is a powder made from combinations of plants, and among them

Tobacco being roasted

especially tobacco. And as in herbal medicine, you have to know which part of each plant will be used, because everything has a purpose. So the person who prepares snuff must have some knowledge of the forest, because the combinations can vary greatly, and it results in a snuff loud or soft. Generally huni of snuff tobacco contains kuin. Tobacco use is the one cultivated in the villages and after harvesting of the leaves, tanning is wrapped in rubber. This tobacco is shredded and led to the fire until dry. Then it is milled and sieved several times to powder. Other plants may vary between pxuri, murici, cocoa bush, cinnamon shaft, and many others, and each has its specific medicine. Can be used the leaves, the bark to ash, and these plants.

Tobacco being crushed

Tobacco being screened

Spending snuff: how to use - The huni kuin use the expression "pass snuff" when they feel comfortable using the medicine. This expression is used because the snuff is blown into the nose of those who want and have to be blown in both nostrils, because they say it is to balance the energy of nature. If you blow into one nostril only, you will be unbalanced with the forest. This can be of two forms: either individually or in pairs. The individual form is when you snuff it blows into his nostrils through "curipa", an instrument made of bamboo, bamboo or bone, the small V-shaped, where on one side you put your good and the other fits you in one nostril. As for the snuff double pass it uses the "typical" also V-shaped and made of bamboo, bamboo or bones, where a blow on the other nostril.

Huni kuin passing snuff

Puffs - There are several blows that can be used at the time to "pass the snuff," among them the breath "Yube" blowing boa constrictor, among others. Thus the breath determines how long you stay in the strength of snuff as a blow strong and long is different from a blow lightweight and fast, and so it goes ....

What is used - Snuff is used for many purposes. The main ones are

Nukini passing snuff in Puyanawa

the ills of the physical body, such as headache, sinusitis, runny nose, even panemas, which are the wounds of the spirit. So when using snuff should be borne in mind that what goes in you are rainforest plants and also healing spirits of the forest. So it's always good to have respect for snuff, so you are also respecting all the energies of the forest. Its use is very common in rituals nixi pae (ayahuasca) where the "snuff pass" the strength of putting nixi father intensifies his spirit more in touch with the forest.

Spiritual relations with the snuff - By using snuff can also sing songs of healing and shamanism, because according to the huni kuin snuff puts us in touch with the spirits of the forest. The combination of plants contained in snuff will determine whether the snuff has powers of healing, concentration, hunting or other beliefs. So can snuff beyond physical healing, charms put our spirit in the forest bringing us power and strength.

My account - My experience with the snuff from the beginning was very positive, very strong. First heard many stories, I met many indigenous shamans and chieftains, and then gradually I became familiar with the use of snuff, because honestly I was wary of what could contain those magic pots ..... But after time went on and trust in people I interacted grew, I realized that if anything happened to me they were going to save me! That is, there would at least leave me here ..... rsrsrsr sick ...... And really had many moments of tightness with snuff, even many, but none of them have been abandoned, always had shamans, leaders and friends with me. In one of the first times I used the snuff learned about breathing. I learned that breathing should be suspended during blowing, or when someone is going to snuff I should not breathe, and after snuff blown I should exhale through the mouth. That was crucial for me to not get sick ..... After I learned not to swallow the residue of snuff yes guspi it. I learned that if my blood pressure to go down snuff and I start to feel sick, I think that the snuff is healing me and teaching me. For in the way of an indigenous snuff comes you never do evil but to snuff when it comes to heal you. So that feeling that you clean the snuff is true because after the snuff our ears amplify our sense of smell and hearing extends the recognition of new odors. In the end I really liked the snuff, much the same ........ Haux, Haux, Haux ........ Viva the forest and its ancient teachings!

Offline caiano

• ɢʟօɮǟʟ
    ʍօɖɛʀǟȶօʀ
  • Called by the medicine(s)
    • View Profile

Offline Galega

• ɢʟօɮǟʟ
    ʍօɖɛʀǟȶօʀ
  • Kambo Practitioner
    • View Profile
Great posts guys -many thanks for sharing

I love it but its soooo addictive!!

haux!

Offline ―λlτεrηιτγ-

• ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
  • Herbalism & Kambo
    • View Profile
    • https://Kambo.me
Tried some Hop-A today. I wanted to do 3 snuffs of it. first was fine. 2nd, I put too much in the pipe. Man, my friend blew and the powder coated my whole respiratory tract. I couldn't breathe. Idk if it was just too much or I somehow inhaled a little n shouldn't have. i focused on not breathing and to exhale out my mouth afterwards.

after a minute my breathing returned, I was spitting constantly, and blew my nose a few times. A little while later I ended up puking my food from earlier up. Almost felt like it was similar in cleansing action to kambo. Purges out both ends afterward.

But any advice on what I did wrong? I'm afraid to approach it again. I went in with a quite fearless warrior mindset, n left feeling like ugh fuck that.

• ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
    • View Profile
By and large people just do one nostril on both sides and no more than that.  Just the right amount is key too, it is best to start off small and build up.  It can be really hard when you go at it too hard and seems to have a whiplash mechanism built in.  Especially the kind you have is super fine and easily passes through the nasals to the respiratory so smaller amounts is likely called for.  That's a rather normal reaction for a beginner without having an experienced Hop-A ist to pick your dose for you.  The first time I did it I accidently did way too much and was basically TKO'd for 10 minutes unable to move.  I came out of it feeling reborn, which is something I haven't duplicated yet with it. 

Offline ―λlτεrηιτγ-

• ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
  • Herbalism & Kambo
    • View Profile
Tko'ed for 10 minutes- were u struggling to breathe and passed out? did it knock you right out? I was struggling really hard to breathe at first and couldn't at all until the powder was moistened and absorbed by my mucous membranes. do you leave the snuff in ur sinuses for a while before blowing your nose? I was going to until the brown snot started pouring out of my nose, then i blew it.

• ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
    • View Profile
I was basically in shock from the power, had some troubles breathing but not major.  Most blow their noses shortly after receiving.  I tend to do some neti stick and allow the medicine to dissolve down my throat bit by bit so I can go in deeper.  Then I will blow my nose and then I do a neti pot to clean everything out. 

I've certainly seen people literally TKO'd for 2 hours after blowing Rape' for them.  They had to get help to do anything, purging, or even moving there head.  Some need very little and even just a little too much seems to be an uppercut. 

Sorry for the lack of pre instruction. 

Offline caiano

• ɢʟօɮǟʟ
    ʍօɖɛʀǟȶօʀ
    • View Profile
the powder coated my whole respiratory tract. I couldn't breathe.

i've never experienced this discomfort.
I'm happy you ended to be well now.
Also the blow could have been done with exagerated strenght.

Offline ―λlτεrηιτγ-

• ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
  • Herbalism & Kambo
    • View Profile
Kampum, you said you're not supposed to swallow the hop-A because it can make you sick, i believe. Do you know the reason for this? Is it just because of the mapacho base? If so, I would like to experiment with oral consumption starting at low doses. And of course not recommended, oral consumption of tobacco, esp high nicotine tobacco varieties like mapacho. But I have worked with mapacho tea before and have quite a high tolerance to mapacho. This powder is so fine that even regular insufflation is causing it to enter my lungs. I am alone and don't have anyone to snuff it to me.

• ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
    • View Profile
I actually swallow as much of it as I can sniffing it through little by little, than it comes trickling down my throat and I swallow and takes me deeper.  The tribes actually sometimes blow both nostrils and then change to a different blow pipe and blow directly into the mouth.  So your right on with your intuition. 

Offline caiano

• ɢʟօɮǟʟ
    ʍօɖɛʀǟȶօʀ
    • View Profile
Re: O uso do rapé --- Use of Snuff (Article in Portuguese) --- Huni Kuin
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 10:18:08 AM »
I am alone and don't have anyone to snuff it to me.

it's better to do blows by yourself !
Another person not enough qualified could do more harm than benefit, at least at energetic level.
And if one has to blow somebody it's far better he blows himself previuosly.

Offline ―λlτεrηιτγ-

• ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
  • Herbalism & Kambo
    • View Profile
I believe what may have helped me to not have the snuff coat my lungs, would be if I had moistened it. I recently made my own snuff from toasted powdered organic N. tabacum. and I re moistened by keeping a bottle cap full of water in the snuff container, and mixing it ever few hours. This makes the snuff moister and fluffier, and I think this is better for the respiratory tract.

On an off-topic note: I wonder how Salvia prepped as a Singado would work. You have more balls then me Kampum, you should try it first.  ;)

I also wonder how Kinnikinnick would do as a snuff with mapacho, since it was a sacred blend of plants used with tobacco, but not sure if North American indians ever used snuffs. I have the ingredients, maybe I'll make some. What parts blend to tobacco are usually used in south american snuffs?

PS I put your rape' that you sent me in a little glass vial with a rolled up wet paper towel shoved into the top of it, below the cap and above the snuff.
Hydrating it and will reapproach it. I don't think I can do dry and finely powdered snuff..

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 12:36:53 AM by λlτεrηιτγ »

Offline ―λlτεrηιτγ-

• ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
  • Herbalism & Kambo
    • View Profile
I just made a Kinnickinnick snuff and am making a mapacho snuff. When it is done I will make another that is 50/50. I will update on how it is.

Offline ―λlτεrηιτγ-

• ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
  • Herbalism & Kambo
    • View Profile
It's hard to enjoy the Katunkina "camuri", is it spelt cumaru as well? It's hard to enjoy it being that fine, wow it must be a lot of ash.
Do you know if it has tobacco in it? I'm thinking of mixing it with a tobacco snuff which would thicken it up a bit as well.
I prefer it to hit my sinuses and not my lungs.