Author Topic: Hello, Everyone  (Read 7878 times)

Offline peterg

• ƒιяѕт ωєѕтєяηєя
    тσ ∂ιѕ¢σνєя кαмвσ!!
  • Called by the medicine(s)
    • View Profile
Hello, Everyone
« on: April 23, 2012, 10:18:04 AM »
Hello, everyone. This is Peter Gorman here, by lucky chance the person who first brought sapo out of the indigenous Matses communities and into the Western world via magazine publishing. I've been utilizing sapo for 26 years; generally at least once a year I'll do 3 hits daily for a five day sapo fast, another three hit-three day fast, and then another 10-20 times annually as my body asks for it.
   I use it traditionally, meaning the burn is made with tamishi, a jungle vine (the vine used to lash jungle house beams together, with sapo collected by the Matses. It's a wonderful medicine and gift.
   I'm glad the forum was started. Thanks.

Offline caiano

• ɢʟօɮǟʟ
    ʍօɖɛʀǟȶօʀ
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, Everyone
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 10:55:26 AM »
Happy to have you here, Peter.
This forum would not exist without your long time precious  work and so much people never could felt in love with kambò.
Thank you for joining.

Sapo fast ... !? Do you mean that during those days you abstain from food ?

The diameter of the burns is another variable one can control,  in different circumstances: i never saw  tamishi but I suppose it comes probably in different sizes. Do you think there are some criteria to use for example many  tiny dots instead than few larger ones ?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:58:39 AM by caiano »

Offline peterg

• ƒιяѕт ωєѕтєяηєя
    тσ ∂ιѕ¢σνєя кαмвσ!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 02:29:24 PM »
Well, thank you for having me.
   No, I don't mean the word "fast" literally. But I do make Sapo the first important thing I do during my "fast", and don't eat before the medicine. I also consider the medicine all day, so that it becomes a real focal point for me. And the daily cleansing seems to have a really good effect on my overall physical/emotional/spiritual state for weeks afterwards.
    Tamishi can come in all sorts of sizes, and obviously three burns by one with a 1/4 inch diameter is very different than 3 burns with one with a 1/8 inch diameter. So sorry if I was unclear. And I know I just judge the number of burns by the size of the tamishi, along with knowing how potent the resin is: I generally test that with just a touch to my tongue. It varies in at least three ways: by how the frog is caught, how much sapo/kambo is extracted from the animal, and how recently the animal has used the resin to protect itself.
    For instance, most Matses collect the branch on which the frog is sitting and never touch the animal until everything is ready for extraction. Done properly, the animal will never have felt threatened and so will have all of it's most potent secretion ready to do. If the animal is frightened at all and releases some sapo, then whatever else is collected will not include the most potent medicine. You need to think of it like this: The frog's primary predators are constrictors, most of whom have no venom (though there are some rear-fanged constrictors). They take the frog into their mouth: The frog has a split second or two or three to release the sapo into the snake's mucous membrane, which freezes the snake and allows the frog to back out of the mouth. If the frog is slow, it will be crushed in the snake's throat in very short order.
    Which doesn't mean that there won't be more sapo once it's free of the snake, but it won't be at the most potent level. Just as a snake can be milked for venom even after it's killed an animal for food, it's just that the venom isn't ready yet, isn't full strength.
   So, if the animal has been frightened or touched when being collected, you're libel to have a stick of material that isn't very strong.
    You'll also have a stick that isn't very strong if the frog has been frightened even a few days before you collect it: It takes several days for the resin to become full strength after use.
    And then, of course, some collectors try to get quantity out of a frog, rather than quality. When Pablo, Alberto and the other Matses men who really depended on sapo to help in hunting, they'd sometimes use three frogs to make a single stick. I still have a little of that material--some of it 15-20 years old, and it doesn't seem to have lost a thing.
    Anyway, to get to know a given stick I flick my tongue on it: the reaction that comes pretty instantly lets me know what kind of material I'm working with and whether it's gonna be a 2-3-4 burn day, and how big the burns should be.
    So yes, tamishi varies in size.
    Sorry for that long long response to something nobody asked. I just get started sometimes.

Offline gloriadeo

• ꀘꍏꂵꌃꂦ ꉣꋪꍏꉓ꓄ꀤ꓄ꀤꂦꈤꍟꋪ
  • in service to the Medicine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 05:30:15 AM »
thank you for that, peterg

this explains why my stick is so pokey - compared with a friend's.  Kambo also informed me that it is female venom.  what is the difference?

having done the full initiation, 2 dots for regular maintenance at the new moon is all i need. applied on an appropriate acupuncture point ( thank you, Giovanni ).  my dots are small - done with a fine japanese incense stick.
is the implication from what you say that one applies more of the weaker stick?

i suppose there is no way of really knowing what one is buying?
"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease"  voltaire

Offline Kambogahuasca Panacea

• A̷d̷m̷i̷n̷i̷s̷t̷r̷a̷t̷o̷r̷
  • ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 04:44:31 PM »
Such a blessing to have you here.  I hope I can be clear that I wanted this forum to learn first and foremost from folks like Peter and Giovanni(hopefully even indigenous practitioners too).  I am so gracious that you got the word out in 84' and even informed scientists while you were at it.  That paper on your site about it is remarkable.  With your permission I would like to repost that wonderful article on the forum.  I think it would give people a good idea of the origins of Kambo in the West.  As word slowly trickled out from your findings and kind extension to Scientists around the world.

Thanks again we owe you a huge debt...
To be paid in love!

Offline peterg

• ƒιяѕт ωєѕтєяηєя
    тσ ∂ιѕ¢σνєя кαмвσ!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 06:05:22 PM »
By all means you can post/repost my early papers on it. You might also look up Vittorio Erspamer, the scientist who initially isolated serotonin in the brain and subsequently worked with phylomedusa bicolor. He was certain the proteins were bioactive in humans but could not experiment as there was no history of that. When he got hold of my report, he asked for a sample--while at the FIDIA Institute at the University of Rome--and then gave it to dying cancer patients. Now that he is dead, I can report that several of those died--that's what he told me--when they were given the sapo. But they were all due to die within 24 hours anyway. He did not give the medicine to people with a chance. He gave it to people who were within minutes/hours of dying, and it did not save any of them.
    So look for his nascent work on this, as relates to human use--which involves me and is not hard to find in the Journal of Pharmacology--was published, I think, in 1990.
     You know, I've always thanked the powers that be that put me in the right place at the right time so many times. This was one. If not me, someone else. The information would still be here. And in the end, that's what's important.