Author Topic: Is Kambo Legal in the US?  (Read 14473 times)

Offline Kundu

• Called by the medicine(s)
    • View Profile
Is Kambo Legal in the US?
« on: May 25, 2013, 09:09:29 AM »
Hello!

I have been trying to understand the legality of possessing dried Kambo in the US and have been finding conflicting info - can someone please help clarify?  Also, is it possible to offer some reputable sources for purchasing online for shipping to the US?  I apologize if these questions seem ignorant, but I genuinely appreciate any info you can offer!

Blessings!

Offline Kambogahuasca Panacea

• A̷d̷m̷i̷n̷i̷s̷t̷r̷a̷t̷o̷r̷
  • ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
    • View Profile
Re: Is Kambo Legal in the US?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 03:21:32 PM »
Yes legal.  Please present the info where people say it is not?  Feel free to PM me for the other details you inquired about. 

Offline Galega

• ɢʟօɮǟʟ
    ʍօɖɛʀǟȶօʀ
  • Kambo Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 04:17:29 PM »
Yes, I wanna see that too!!

kambo is 100% legal everywhere in the world. The only legislation that has ever been put in place ironically is in brazil. Its not a law but its a resolution that is little enforced. It says only that the advertising, marketing and transportation of kambo is forbidden. the reason that was given for this was to 'combat biopiracy' and not for any other reason. Its still completely legal to take kambo there.

Offline GiantMonkeyTreeFrog

• ꀘꍏꂵꌃꂦ ꉣꋪꍏꉓ꓄ꀤ꓄ꀤꂦꈤꍟꋪ
    • View Profile
    • Kambo Community
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 11:02:20 PM »
Hello,

This is an excellent question and one that has been on my mind for a while now.

As someone that works with Kambo both here in the US and in other countries, its obviously of concern.

It may for example be legal to possess Kambo, but is it legal to use it on someone? What's the legal position if you give it to a person and then that person goes to hospital?I personally know of a very experienced practitioner, a person with good intentions and a good heart who gave Kambo to a lady in Costa Rica and three days later she died in hospital.

I raise these questions, not to scare people, but to open the dialog about responsibility and legal boundaries.  I would love some guidance on this from those that know more than me.

Thank you and please feel free to 'friend' the Kambo Community Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/KamboCommunity

• ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 12:19:35 AM »
There welcome to make it illegal and bring more attention to it, I kind of recommend them take that approach just to cause more people to become aware of it.  Whatever the case Kambo is like Mike Tyson in his prime(al) unbeatable and unstoppable. 

What's the legal position if you give it to a person and then that person goes to hospital?I personally know of a very experienced practitioner, a person with good intentions and a good heart who gave Kambo to a lady in Costa Rica and three days later she died in hospital.

That opens up a can of worms.  Any more info? 

No one should die from Kambo, I personally have treated myself twice as strong as anyone else to gauge if it can kill a healthy individual, so if I'm here now than I can't see how it could kill a healthy person. 

Presently I'll open up a thread for treating people to insure no excessive purging happens, personally I like to go hard at people but we have some like Galega that prefer a more gentle approach.  Most westerners prefer that approach.  I come at it a bit more Machismo and say Iboga like energy to this medicine. 

• ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 12:30:06 AM »
Thank you and please feel free to 'friend' the Kambo Community Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/KamboCommunity

Yes we referred to you early on in the forum for your all's use of spiral designs, very pretty.  Thanks for being here, most practitioners just come to make introductions but don't stay long. 

Offline Galega

• ɢʟօɮǟʟ
    ʍօɖɛʀǟȶօʀ
  • Kambo Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 12:11:54 PM »
You're right Kampum, no one should die from Kambo. I really would like to know more about the lady in Costa Rica - what was her per-existing health status and did she die from?

I say this over and over again......but if this could happen to a very experienced practitioner than imagine what could happen to the people that I come across on a regular basis who think that being a Kambo practitioner is nothing more than burning a few points and slapping Kambo on them. Frankly, I'm getting a little fed up with people writing to me on facebook etc asking me how to treat people with very serious health conditions only to tell me when I enquire about their experience of working with Kambo that they have none - they just do it to help their friends! This is what we must discourage - do not give your friends Kambo or anyone else unless you know what you're doing and you know what to do if something goes wrong.

When someone dies at the hands of one of these so called Kambo practitioners in the US or Europe - we may see a situation where Kambo takes the blame and people seek to ban it. Do it to yourself - fine but not anyone else - leave that to trained people.

I think we sometimes forget that we're working with a poison here. I had a recent client (healthy, young, male)at a circle who had a massive reaction to his first point - so much so that I had to take very fast action to keep him breathing. Imagine if someone had stuck several points on him and not known what to do? He would have died for sure! This is only the second person I have seen react in over 900 that I have treated but it happens!

Let's keep it safe and legal!

• ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 01:12:28 PM »
I think we sometimes forget that we're working with a poison here. I had a recent client (healthy, young, male)at a circle who had a massive reaction to his first point - so much so that I had to take very fast action to keep him breathing. Imagine if someone had stuck several points on him and not known what to do? He would have died for sure! This is only the second person I have seen react in over 900 that I have treated but it happens!

I really appreciate your points here on this  ;D, I do wonder though having been recently treated by someone who trained with the Yawanawa, it seems the indigenous are rather casual in the way they do it.  What I'm mainly referring to is he didn't stay with the individual he had treated and moved onto the next person to treat, I was very surprised at this but also had seen videos of the tribes doing similar things.  Only after 15 minutes of the treatment he left us to attend to other duties, was fine for me, but definitely not my style. 

I think (at least for me) it is important to give complete care to each individual before moving onto the next person to treat. 

Offline ―λlτεrηιτγ-

• ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
  • Herbalism & Kambo
    • View Profile
    • https://Kambo.me
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 06:03:17 PM »
I had a recent client (healthy, young, male)at a circle who had a massive reaction to his first point - so much so that I had to take very fast action to keep him breathing.

Can you explain more about this? What action did you take?
That's pretty scary. Did he have some kind of preexisting condition?

Offline Galega

• ɢʟօɮǟʟ
    ʍօɖɛʀǟȶօʀ
  • Kambo Practitioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 06:26:41 AM »
For sure Kampum, not my style either - the indigenous have a more casual approach sometimes - they often leave someone after just a few minutes - I have experienced this myself with different tribes too. It can be a bit scary especially at the beginning. Now its fine though but you're right - I never leave someone until they are through and resting. In circles, everyone rests and then we eat together afterwards so I always know that everyone is fine before they leave.

As for my young man who had a massive reaction... he had zero pre-existing health problems - I always check!
He presented as a picture of health. Aged 28, tall, athletic and never had any health problems ever. He works out regular, eats well, doesn't smoke and had no allergies. He had come to Kambo out of curiosity and more to accompany his girlfriend than any personal pressing reason. For some reason my intuition went into overdrive and I got a message to go slowly with him. I put on one point to test his sensitivity and within less than 30 seconds, his throat swelled completely closed.  He was basically suffocating - it was pretty dramatic! I removed the point and washed the area with water and administered basic first aid (something all practitioners should know) and used a special 'opening the throat'  breathing technique to keep him breathing until it wore off.

Not typical but it just goes to show how careful you need to be.