Author Topic: German chamomile helps prevent morphine addiction.  (Read 3726 times)

Offline ―λlτεrηιτγ-

• A̷d̷m̷i̷n̷i̷s̷t̷r̷a̷t̷o̷r̷
  • ↼Ȿ♄ꜻϻꜻηĭc⇀ ↽∆ƪc♄εϻĭst⇁
  • Herbalism & Kambo
    • View Profile
    • https://Kambo.me
German chamomile helps prevent morphine addiction.
« on: February 10, 2013, 07:41:53 AM »
It helps to inhibit the development of addiction and also prevents the withdrawal symptoms. 

Matricaria chamomilla extract inhibits both development of morphine dependence and expression of abstinence syndrome in rats.
Adel Gomaa, Tahia Hashem, Mahmoud Mohamed, Esraa Ashry
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Assiut University, Egypt.

The effect of Matricaria chamomilla (M. chamomilla) on the development of morphine dependence and expression of abstinence was investigated in rats. The frequencies of withdrawal behavioral signs (paw tremor, rearing, teeth chattering, body shakes, ptosis, diarrhea, and urination) and weight loss induced by naloxone challenge were demonstrated in morphine-dependent rats receiving M. chamomilla extract or saline. The withdrawal behavioral manifestations and weight loss were inhibited significantly by chronic co-administration of M. chamomilla extract with morphine. Administration of a single dose of M. chamomilla before the naloxone challenge in morphine-dependent animals abolished the withdrawal behavioral manifestations. The dramatic increase of plasma cAMP induced by naloxone-precipitated abstinence was prevented by chronic co-administration of M. chamomilla extract with morphine. These results suggest that M. chamomilla extract inhibits the development of morphine dependence and expression of abstinence syndrome.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12832855

I believe the specific constituent of German Chamomile they're describing is Apigenin. Which can be bought without prescription. It's a potent CYP1A2 and CYP2C9 digestive enzyme inhibitor. And also an NMDA antagonist, which, by the way they work, help to prevent a wide range of addictions. This may not be super strong in effects but could be supplemented with Iboga, magnesium, zinc, and other nmda antagonists in someones arsenal against addiction.